Death Rally is a combat racing game that stands out for its unique blend of high-speed racing and vehicular warfare. Originally developed under the name HiSpeed by Remedy Entertainment, it was released by Apogee Software on September 7, 1996, for MS-DOS. The game quickly garnered positive feedback from critics and gamers, eventually achieving cult classic status in the racing genre. Its enduring popularity led to a full remake for mobile devices and Microsoft Windows, catering to fans of retro racing games with a taste for tumultuous action.
Death Rally Premise
The essence of Death Rally is in its name. Players engage in lethal races, piloting cars armed with formidable weaponry. The goal is to obliterate rival racers and secure first place. Success in races brings monetary rewards, allowing players to enhance their vehicles. This top-down racer is a fusion of high-speed racing and explosive combat, where the right vehicle can turn any player into the ultimate Death Rally champion.
Death Rally Characters
In Death Rally, players begin with $495 and a basic car named Vagabond, modeled after the VW Beetle and equipped with a standard chain gun. The game features a total of six vehicles, ranked from weakest to strongest: Vagabond, Dervish, Sentinel, Shrieker, Wraith, and Deliverator.
Players who upgrade their vehicles and prove their mettle have the chance to challenge the “Adversary,” the reigning champion of Death Rally. Defeating the Adversary in a one-on-one race earns the player the title of the new Death Rally champion.
Death Rally Series
Death Rally is unique in the vehicular combat genre as a standalone game without any sequels or prequels. It holds the distinction of being the first game developed by Remedy Entertainment. In its remake, Remedy included a nod to another of their creations, Alan Wake. Since then, Remedy Entertainment has become known for creating games with bizarre and surreal themes, such as Control, Quantum Break, and Alan Wake.
Games Produced by Remedy Entertainment:
Here’s a list of all the games developed by Remedy Entertainment, showcasing their evolution as a game developer:
|Year of Release
|Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
|Alan Wake’s American Nightmare
|Agents of Storm
|Alan Wake Remastered
|CrossfireX / Crossfire HD (single-player)
|Alan Wake II
Death Rally Cheat Codes
Death Rally offers a variety of cheat codes that can significantly enhance your gameplay experience. These cheats can grant you immunity from damage, provide you with extra money, offer unlimited ammo, among other benefits. Some of these codes even include references to other popular games like Duke Nukem. Below is a breakdown of these cheat codes:
- Immunity to Damage: A specific code can make your car impervious to any damage, allowing you to race without fear of being destroyed by your opponents.
- Extra Money: With this cheat, you can instantly increase your in-game funds, giving you the ability to buy better cars or upgrades much earlier in the game.
- Unlimited Ammo: This code ensures that your vehicle never runs out of ammunition, allowing you to continuously attack other racers without the need to replenish your ammo supply.
- Duke Nukem Reference: One of the cheat codes is a fun nod to the Duke Nukem series, another popular game of the era.
- Other Advantages: Other cheats might include increased speed, instant access to better vehicles, or even secret levels.
Using these cheat codes can drastically change your Death Rally experience, making it easier or simply more fun. However, it’s always good to remember that using cheats can also alter the intended challenge and progression of the game, so use them according to your preferred style of play.
|Enter DUKE NUKEM as your name when creating a new character. Don’t try to capitalize the letters or this won’t work. The letters are already capitalized so you don’t need to do it yourself. It doesn’t matter which face you choose to be your character as long as you name him/her DUKE NUKEM.
|Higher Armor Percentage
|Go Down 10 Points
|Go Up 10 Points
In-Game Cheat Codes
|Get Rocket Fuel for Free
Disclaimer: All images are copyright of their respective owners and are used by Hablamos De Gamers for informational purposes only.
- Addictive Gameplay: Death Rally offers a compelling mix of racing and combat, making it a highly addictive game for players who enjoy action-packed driving experiences.
- Retro Appeal: The game has a classic, retro aesthetic that appeals to fans of vintage video games and evokes a sense of nostalgia.
- Upgrade System: The ability to upgrade and customize vehicles provides a sense of progression and personalization, enhancing the replay value.
- Cross-Platform Availability: Being available on multiple platforms such as MS-DOS, iOS, Android, and Windows allows a wide range of players to access the game.
- Simple Controls: The game's control system is straightforward, making it easy to learn for newcomers but hard to master for racing veterans.
- Limited Tracks and Vehicles: The selection of tracks and vehicles might feel limited, especially when compared to contemporary racing games with larger rosters.
- Lack of Story: The game doesn't offer much in terms of narrative or story, which could be a drawback for those who prefer more immersive world-building in their games.